You may recall that I went to Hong Kong and Shanghai last June (I’m ready to go back!). This past weekend I went to Kansas City & Iowa for a wedding and I packed way too much. If I don’t leave myself enough time to pack, if I haven’t traveled in a while, and if I don’t know exactly all of the events I’m going to, I will sometimes overpack. One trip I actually didn’t overpack too much for was the China trip!
Even though I packed in a carry-on bag, I still definitely could have packed less. I ended up wearing a few of the same outfits twice.
I packed with a theme in mind — black, white and neutrals. I was able to pack this little because I recently revamped my packing system. Read my 3 Keys to Packing. But here’s exactly what I brought with me to China, and what I didn’t need to bring.
The only clothing & shoes I needed to pack for a week in Hong Kong & Shanghai (during summer):
- Flat sandals — My Vince sandals (similar) were so comfortable, I didn’t need any other flats even though I brought two more pairs just in case any of them rubbed.
- Nike tennis shoes — I actually only wore these on the plane on the way there.
- Joie Gold Sandals and Black & Tan Sandals — I wore both of my heeled sandals, but I only wore the gold ones once, but they made the outfit, soooo kinda worth it — but I could have easily gotten away with just packing one pair of heels.
- Maison du Soir Pajama Set — If I’m staying in a luxury hotel (like The Peninsula) then I only want to wear my luxurious pajamas.
- Black Silk Pants — Love these pants. They are perfect for dressing up in hot weather.
- Jumpsuit — Jumpsuits (depending on the fabric) are a great thing to pack because they are the entire outfit. I probably didn’t need to bring this and could have just worn my black silk pants again with a different top but it was fun to wear.
- Black Dress — This dress looks like textured leather, but it’s actually light and flowy. It’s perfect for traveling because the fabric is supposed to look a little wrinkly! It also rolls up really small.
- White Sweater and Blush Sweater — I probably could have only brought one of these, but I brought both and ended up wearing both of them.
- White Vince Sweater — I love this sweater
- Black Trousers — Probably wore these the most. They are perfect for short flights (I wore them to and from the Bahamas) and for walking around for a long day. They are just baggy enough to be comfortable and not hot.
- Black & White Tank — I wore this tank with my black silk pants.
- Navy Dress — This dress is AMAZING. It’s the perfect cut for me, and I love how it hangs. Great for looking nice in really hot weather. I wore it while walking around Hong Kong on a super hot day.
- Cream Vest (similar)— Wore this vest over my black dress, and loved this outfit so much I wore it once in Hong Kong and then again in Shanghai.
- Black Leggings — I didn’t have compression leggings, but honestly I think my lululemon leggings are just as tight, and I wore them on the flights.
- Black cozy sweater — I wore a huge cozy Joie sweater on the flights as well. I needed something super warm, especially for the 15-hour flights!
- White t-shirt and gray t-shirt — Under my cozy sweater I wore a t-shirt on my flights.
What I packed and didn’t use or wear: Continue reading…